Rajma Chawal is a popular North Indian rice dish and one of the most nutritional recipes for kids because it is rich in protein and iron.
3/4 cup rajma (kidney beans)
1 1/2 cups steamed rice (chawal) (use leftovers if you have any)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 small stick of cinnamon (dalchini)
1/2 cup sliced onions
1 tbsp thinly sliced ginger (adrak)
1 to 2 sliced green chillies
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tbsp coriander (dhania) powder
1 tbsp dried mango powder (amchur)
1/2 tsp black salt (sanchal)
1 tbsp oil
salt to taste
- Soak the rajma in water overnight. Drain and discard the water. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pressure handi. Add the cumin seeds and cinnamon and allow them to crackle.
- Add the onions and sauté for a few minutes till they are translucent. Add the ginger and green chillies and sauté for a few more minutes.
- Add the soaked rajma, along with 3 cups of water, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt.
- Pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles.
- When the pressure is released, add the black salt and amchur and mix well. Simmer for a few minutes and add the cooked rice to this rajma. Mix gently.
- Serve hot.